- About WIP
- Participating Entities
- Animas-La Plata Water Conservancy District
- City of Durango Utility Commission
- Colorado Water Resources and Power Development Authority
- Dolores Conservation District
- Dolores Water Conservancy District
- Empire Electric Association
- Florida Water Conservancy District
- La Plata Archuleta Water District
- La Plata Electric Association
- La Plata Water Conservancy District
- Mancos Conservation District
- Mancos Water Conservancy District
- Pagosa Area Water and Sanitation District (PAWSD)
- Pine River Irrigation District
- San Juan Water Conservancy District
- Southwestern Water Conservation District
- Town of Silverton
- Town of Telluride
- Regional Water Projects
- Animas-La Plata Project (Lake Nighthorse)
- Animas River Stakeholders
- Cloud Seeding Program
- Dolores Project (McPhee Reservoir)
- Dry Gulch Reservoir (Pending)
- Florida Project (Lemon Reservoir)
- Mancos Project (Jackson Gulch Reservoir)
- Long Hollow Reservoir
- Pine River Project (Vallecito Reservoir)
- Rio Blanco Restoration Project
- River Protection Work Group
- Water Information
- Contact WIP
From the Arabian Peninsula to northern India to California’s Central Valley, nearly a third of the world’s 37 largest aquifers are being drained faster than they are being replenished, according to a recent study led by scientists at the University of California, Irvine.
June 18, 2015--Laudato Si' and Water: The Vatican's Encyclical Letter and Global Water Challenges (Huffington Post)
The official text of the much-anticipated Vatican's Encyclical Letter, "Laudato Si'" ("On Care for our Common Home") was released today.
New data from NASA's GRACE satellites show that many of the world's biggest aquifers are being sucked dry at a rate far greater than they are being replenished.
As rain washed over the La Plata County on Thursday, bringing fears of flooding, county officials wrestled with how to address long-term water needs. “We’ve been fighting for years and years over the wrong things and not paying enough attention to water. ...
Much of the Middle East and North Africa is set for acute water shortages and the region must do more to conserve water while expanding a series of pilot program including solar-powered water pumps, scientists and officials said on Tuesday. "The situation is critical," Essam Khalifa, a senior official from Egypt's water ministry, said at the U.N.'s Food and Agriculture Or
The EPA on Wednesday finalized a long-anticipated rule that would ramp up protection against pollution of streams, wetlands and groundwater — winning praise but also igniting opposition. This Clean Water Rule is expected to clarify federal jurisdiction, particularly in semi-arid western states such as Colorado, where thousands of waterways are seasonal.
A bid by Las Vegas to drain groundwater from distant valleys took another hit this week, as the Nevada Supreme Court blocked the latest legal maneuver by the Southern Nevada Water Authority and the Nevada State Engineer, who petitioned the court for writs of mandamus. The ruling is a win for critics of the SNWA pipeline project, including White Pine County, the Great Basin Water Network an
Faced with the increasing likelihood that the state will significantly cut their water allotment as a way to deal with the punishing drought, farmers in California’s Sacramento and San Joaquin river delta are offering to give up a quarter of the water they have considered guaranteed for more than a century.
May 20, 2015--Millions in federal dollars aim to improve long-term water conservation (Los Angeles Times)
California is getting about $33 million in federal money for water recycling, irrigation improvements and other conservation projects in a new round of funding for water and energy efficiency projects in Western states. Few of the California projects, which are spread across the state, would provide immediate relief from the lingering drought.
Construction is set to begin on a regional water project that is a significant part of the South Denver area's plan to transition to a renewable water supply.