Deadly Amoeba Found in Tap Water

According to a Los Angeles Times report, investigators at the Center for Disease Control recently found the amoeba, naegleria fowleri, when they swabbed the plumbing in the houses of two people who died of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis in 2011. The illness, which is extremely rare, strikes when the amoeba travels into the brain through the nose and olfactory nerve, causing fever, vomiting, seizures, and coma. It usually kills its victims within a week. Most of the people who fall ill with amoeba-borne brain infection get it after swimming in warm lakes or rivers in Southern states.  But last year, two Louisianans apparently fell ill and died after irrigating their sinuses with neti pots—small pitchers used to pour warm saltwater through the nasal passages.